The festival will be held from Thursday, July 1 to Saturday, July 10, 2021.
FILMFEST MÜNCHEN 2021 will be held — true to the motto “Citywide Live” — at various outdoor locations in Munich. You can find an initial overview of our concept for this year here. We have also compiled more detailed information on the individual venues for you here. Directions as well as practical information for your visit will follow shortly.
You’ll find an overview of participating venues here. If you click through to a venue’s individual page, you’ll find the address, information on refreshments and accessibility, and directions if using public transportation.
You’ll find an overview of the complete program here. The screening times and locations are given on the pages that provide details of the individual films. You can put together your own individual festival schedule using the button labeled “Reserve the film”.
Yes, familiar Filmfest theaters are on board once again. Filmfest films will be shown in a 5 p.m. slot in the ASTOR Film Lounge at ARRI, the City Kinos, the Gloria Palast, the Rio Filmpalast and the Filmtheater Sendlinger Tor. In addition, the Amerikahaus in the Museum District and the Carl-Orff-Saal in the festival center at the Gasteig will function as Filmfest theaters.
Unlike in previous years, screenings will not be held all day long. The open-air screenings in the evening usually will not start before 9 p.m. in order to ensure a certain level of darkness and thus an optimal moviegoing experience. Filmfest films will also be shown in a 5 p.m. slot in the indoor theaters. Thus, it will be possible to watch two films in one day. Kinderfilmfest screenings will, of course, be held exclusively at family-friendly times during the day. You’ll find an overview of all of this year’s films here. On the pages showing details of the individual films, you’ll find the respective screening times and locations. You can put together your own individual festival schedule using the button labeled “Reserve the film”.
The Carl-Orff-Saal in the festival center at the Gasteig will again function as a Filmfest theater this year. However, for reasons of health and safety, the customary red carpet cannot be rolled out for gala premieres this time.
Our popular Filmmakers Live! talks will be held again this year in the Carl-Orff-Saal and the Black Box at the Gasteig. Tickets for these events are free; there is only a €1 processing fee. In addition, there will be extended virtual Filmmakers Live! discussions with selected guests. Some of these will be streamed live or made available online afterwards.
FILMFEST MÜNCHEN 2021 will be held live and in person, but additionally, MUBI in cooperation with FILMFEST MÜNCHEN will present a special online section, “Homage to Małgorzata Szumowska”, during the festival period. Festivalgoers have the opportunity to try out MUBI free of charge for 30 days. You’ll find their exclusive offer here.
In cooperation with FILMFEST MÜNCHEN, MUBI will present a special online section, “Homage to Małgorzata Szumowska”, during the festival period. Festivalgoers have the opportunity to try out MUBI free of charge for 30 days. You’ll find their exclusive offer here.
- As usual, tickets for Filmfest screenings may be purchased online as well as at physical ticket counters. However, as the pandemic situation is still current, we request that you use the webshop if possible.
- Important: Because numerous venues are partnering with us this year, there are some things to consider when purchasing festival tickets. The Filmfest webshop, the Filmfest box office, and München Ticket counters will handle some of the ticket sales, while certain venues will handle all of their own ticket sales. We’ve compiled specific information about who is doing what here.
- Online: You can always order online tickets via the page that provides details of a particular film on the Filmfest website. Depending on the venue where the individual screening will be held, you will be taken either to the Filmfest webshop via the “Buy ticket” button or to the ordering page of the corresponding theater/venue via a link (see screenshot).
- Offline: When purchasing paper tickets, special attention must be paid to the above details. The Filmfest and München Ticket box offices are selling tickets only for certain venues. You’ll find a complete list of these venues as well as box office opening times here.
- Feel free to contact to our ticketing department by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have specific questions. For technical issues relating to the ordering process, please contact the Filmfest hotline at München Ticket at +49 89 54 81 81 403. You’ll find further information here.
Schoolchildren, college students, retirees, persons in the Federal Volunteer Service, the unemployed, welfare recipients, and persons with disabilities may purchase tickets at the reduced price of €7.90 (plus a €1.00 service fee; one reduced-price ticket per screening). An ID card and/or proof of eligibility must be presented at the Filmfest box office and/or upon admission to the screening.
To order tickets from the Filmfest webshop, you must have an account, which you can create for free during the ordering process. In some cases, to use the online ticket shops of our open-air venues, you may need to register with them for free.
No, the individual venues will not have an evening box office, so please purchase tickets in advance. You will, of course, still be able to buy tickets on the day of the screening at the Filmfest box office at the Gasteig — provided, of course, that the screening is not yet sold out.
Please note that this year, it will not be possible to choose your own seat.
For health and safety reasons, we are only able to offer a maximum of two adjacent seats or one double seat. Please be aware that you must arrive at the venue together and take your seats together.
You can, of course, try to book two more seats next to the seats you have already booked in a separate ordering process. Whether this attempt is successful will of course depend on how many seats are available and how many have already been occupied.
Yes, for screenings whose ticket sales are handled by the Filmfest webshop, this is not a problem. In cases where ticket sales are handled by our partnering venues, on the other hand, it is necessary to make separate purchases.
Our Filmfest webshop accepts payment by MasterCard, VISA, or SOFORT Überweisung (bank transfer). Please note that the available payment options may vary depending on the ordering platform of the partnering venue.
At Filmfest box offices, you may pay in cash or using MasterCard, VISA, or an EC card.
No, movie tickets may not be returned or exchanged.
In such a case, please contact the München Ticket call center at +49 89 54 81 81 403. They will cancel your ticket and refund the amount paid.
For the purpose of possible contact tracing, the tickets are personalized and thus non-transferable. However, only the contact details of the person purchasing the ticket are recorded. For the person accompanying him or her, a name will suffice.
You can purchase tickets to an award ceremony held in connection with the screening of a particular film (such as HOME in the case of the Margot Hielscher Award being presented to Franka Potente). By purchasing a ticket to that screening, you are also reserving your seat at the corresponding award ceremony.
Yes, a (free) ticket is required there as well. Tickets to the Filmmakers Live! talks at the Gasteig (in the Carl-Orff-Saal and the Black Box) are free; there is only a service charge of €1.
In order to allow for an authentic film experience, the films are always shown in their original language. Foreign-language films are screened with German or English subtitles. Please consult the detailed page of your desired film for information on the language and subtitles offered.
All of the films of the Kinderfilmfest are shown in the original German or are dubbed into German.
The German film ratings (FSK) can be found on the pages that provide details of each film. Please note that some films have not yet been rated and are thus automatically released for ages 18 and up, regardless of content. The films of the Kinderfilmfest are of course given a rating and a corresponding recommendation (such as FSK 0, recommended for age 6 and older).
No, the program will not be published as a magazine this year. All information on the films and the supporting program, along with more in-depth essays on some of the themes addressed, can be found here on our brand-new website. In addition, you can of course stay up to date via our social media channels.
- In partnership with the GRETA app, we are providing inclusive versions of the following films: TRANS – I GOT LIFE, KAISERSCHMARRNDRAMA, TIDES, WRINKLE-FREE, and HOME. In the case of HOME, please note that we are screening the film in the original English with German subtitles, while the inclusive version is in German.
- The audio description and extended subtitles for the screenings are provided via the GRETA app. After installing the app and downloading the audio description or extended subtitles to your smartphone (Android or iOS), you can enjoy the inclusive versions. The prerequisites are your own smartphone with the app installed and headphones. You’ll find more information here.
At this year’s festival, you will of course again be able to vote for the Bayern 2 and SZ Audience Award.
The voting area is near the bottom of the page that provides details about a given film. Clicking on the star labeled “Vote” in the main image on that page will take you there. Alternatively, you can simply scroll down. Under the heading “Vote for the Bayern 2 and SZ Audience Award”, you can then award up to five stars as usual. For verification, you will as always need to enter the final digits of the bar code number on the ticket you purchased to that film. For security purposes, a CAPTCHA must also be completed.
You only need to enter your e-mail address if you wish to participate in the competition. In this case, you must also check the box indicating your consent to the terms and conditions of the drawing.
The health of our visitors and staff is of course a top priority at FILMFEST MÜNCHEN. That’s why we have worked out comprehensive hygiene concepts with our partners for all venues, tailored to the respective locations. You will find details here shortly.